Saturday 8 June 2013

The Big Read - The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald My Thoughts

I'm back! As well as studying like crazy for my exam I also finished The Great Gatsby. It really wasn't what I was expecting, I have never seen any adaptations of the book and only wanted to read after watching the trailer for the new film. 

Well the trailer looks a lot more exciting then the book was. I really didn't enjoy reading this, I found it boring and I didn't like or relate to any of the characters. I disliked the style in which this was written and found the whole book generally frustrating.

I think my main issue with this is just how unpleasant the characters in the book are, by the end I really didn't care what happened to any of them. My least favourite character had to be Nick Carraway who unfortunately narrates the story closely followed by Tom Buchanan who is horrid.

Maybe my tastes aren't sophisticated enough for this I am sure there are many out there who love this book and the many layers of the story. Unfortunately I am not one. 

I am still going to watch the film mainly for the dresses, soundtrack and Leonardo but kind of wish I didn't bother reading the book.

I read this on my iPad Mini via iBooks for free but who can download via amazon.co.uk for your Kindle for 77p.

No comments:

Post a Comment